Thursday, January 28, 2010

Liza’s Colossal Cookies (on Steroids)

It’s been a while since I posted anything here, but being caught inside in this hostile weather is good motivation.

I have some fabulous recipes for sweets that I almost never make these days because most of my peer group is counting either carbs or calories. However, when I my grandchildren are around, I enjoy making these fun cookies. They are always a huge hit with anyone who loves peanut butter. The original recipe used a bag of chocolate chips instead of the peanut brittle and M&M variations. All versions are delicious.

This recipe originally came from my daughter; she doesn’t remember where she got it. She lost the recipe somewhere along the line, but I had it in my files. I just emailed it to her today. This is a good reason to give your favorite recipes to all your friends and relatives; you never know when a treasured slip of paper will go missing.

Liza’s Colossal Cookies (on Steroids)

With mixer, combine in the following order:
1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. white sugar
1 1/2 c. dk. brown sugar, packed
2 c. chunky peanut butter
4 eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. honey
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 3/4 c. old fashion oats
2/3 c. dry roasted, salted whole peanuts

Stir in by hand: 8 oz. peanut brittle, coarsely crushed (1 box of Sophie Mae brand from drugstore candy dept.)

Mix well and shape into “golf balls.” Set on lightly greased cookie sheet, leaving room for spreading, and flatten slightly. Press additional peanuts into tops. Bake 350° for about 12 minutes. The cookies will puff up and then fall. Remove them as soon as they fall. They should be just lightly browned.

Allow to cool on sheet for 1 minute to firm up.

The original recipe did not have peanut brittle. I’ve also made these with a 1-lb bag of peanut M&Ms instead of brittle. Or regular M&Ms. Or use a bag of chocolate chips, as in the original version.

No comments: